2013 HORNET RULES
The rules and/or regulations set forth herein are designed to provide for the orderly conduct of racing events and to establish minimum acceptable requirements for such events. These rules shall govern the condition of all events, and by participating in these events, all participants are deemed to have complied with these rules. NO EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF SAFETY SHALL RESULT FROM PUBLICATIONS OF OR COMPLIANCE WITH THESE RULES AND/OR REGULATIONS. They are intended as a guide for the conduct of the sport and are in no way a guarantee against injury or death to a participant, spectator or official.
The race director shall be empowered to permit reasonable and appropriate deviation from any of the specifications herein or impose any further restrictions that in his opinion do not alter the minimum acceptable requirements. NO EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF SAFETY SHALL RESULT FROM SUCH ALTERATION OF SPECIFICATIONS. Any interpretation or deviation of these rules is left to the discretion of the officials. Their decision is final.
1. SAFETY EQUIPMENT: Rules apply at all times car is on the race track. Snell-rated SA2000 or SA2005 or SFI 31.1/2005 helmet required. Roll bar padding required in driver compartment (Fire retardant recommended). SFI-approved full fire suit required. Fire retardant gloves, shoes and neck brace (or head and neck restraint) required. Recommended: Fire retardant head sock and underwear. Driver-side window net required, minimum 16 inch by 20 inch ribbon or mesh style, and must be mounted so latch is at top front of window. Minimum three inch wide SFI-approved five point safety belt assembly required (Y-type shoulder harness not allowed) must be mounted securely to roll cage, recommended to be no more than one year old. Kill switch required within easy reach of driver and must be clearly marked “OFF” and “ON”.
2. BODY/CHASSIS: Any front wheel drive, compact car with three or four cylinder engine. All cars must remain strictly OEM. Must be unaltered OEM-appearing body. No convertibles or two seat sports cars allowed. Maximum wheelbase 107 inches. OEM steel unaltered floor pan only. Inner fenders may not be removed. Hood and trunk lid/hatch must be securely fastened. All doors must be securely welded or bolted. All glass, exterior lights, chrome/plastic trim and hood insulation must be removed. Dash may be removed, but can remain. Bumpers must be welded, chained or cabled to frame and have front and rear tow hook. OEM bumper covers must remain. Maximum seven inch sun visor, opera window may be closed.
3. ROLL CAGE: Six-point roll cage required. Must use minimum 1.5 inch O.D. with 0.095 inch wall thickness tubing. Rear hoop must have “X” bracing configuration. Rear kickers required. Must have 1.25 inch minimum O.D. cross bar in top halo. Cage must be electric welded. No iron, galvanized pipe or fittings, square tubing, brazing or soldering allowed.
4. DOOR BARS: Minimum three horizontal door bars on driver side and two horizontal door bars on passenger side. Both sides must have vertical bracing from top to bottom door bars. All tubing must be minimum 1.5 inch O.D. with 0.095 inch wall thickness.
5. DRIVER COMPARTMENT: Minimum three windshield bars and protective screen mounted in front of driver. Aluminum high-back racing seat required. Must be securely mounted to roll cage using 0.375 inch bolts. Driver must be sealed off from track, engine, transmission and fuel cell/tank. No mirrors. No gutting allowed except for roll/door bar clearance. All flammable material, radio and air bags must be removed. Front and rear firewalls must remain and have no holes. Interior must remain open.
6. SUSPENSION AND STEERING: All components and mounts must be unaltered, OEM and match year, make and model of car used. No weight jacks, modifications, racing components, aftermarket or homemade traction devices allowed. Rear wheels must track straight ahead and be in alignment with front wheels. No more than 5 degrees camber on any wheel. No center steering. Quick release steering wheel is allowed, must maintain OEM column. No aftermarket remote reservoir power steering.
7. SPRINGS/SHOCKS/STRUTS: All shocks and struts must remain OEM, in OEM location. Spring rubbers allowed.
8. TIRES AND WHEELS: OEM DOT 13, 14, 15 or 16 inch passenger tires only. No racing, mud or snow tires. No re-caps, softening, conditioning, siping or grooving allowed. Must be OEM steel or aluminum wheels, with standard bead bump and maximum seven inch width. All four tires and wheels must be the same series, size and offset. Tires must be inside of body. No wheel spacers or bleeder valves. Reinforcing of wheels recommended. Must use one inch O.D. steel lug nuts on steel wheels.
9. BRAKES: Must be steel, unaltered, OEM operative, four wheel disc or drum brakes, and match year, make and model of car used. OEM master cylinder only, in OEM location. No brake shut off or bias adjuster. Steel brake lines only.
10. EXHAUST: Exhaust manifold must be unaltered, OEM for year, make and model of car used. Smog pump, catalytic converter and air conditioning compressor may be removed. Track may require mufflers (IMCA recommended).
11. WEIGHT: No ballast (extra weight) of any kind allowed. Any item deemed as ballast will be required to be removed.
12. BATTERY/STARTER: One 12 volt battery only. Must be securely mounted with positive terminal covered. Battery must be in Marine type case if mounted in driver compartment. OEM starter only, must be in OEM location. Car must leave initial staging area on demand, unaided, or go to rear of that race.
13. GAUGES/ELECTRONICS: No unapproved cameras, transmitting or listening devices. 12 volt ignition system only. No ignition boxes. No performance chips. All ignition components must be unaltered, OEM and match year, make and model of car used. Aftermarket analog tach, oil pressure and water temp gauges only.
14. FUEL SYSTEM: Must have complete, unaltered, OEM fuel system for year, make and model of car used. Gasoline only. No performance additives. Gas tank ahead of rear axle allowed but must install shield under it. Gas tank behind rear axle must be replaced with maximum eight gallon fuel cell and relocated to trunk area. Must mount with minimum two solid steel straps around entire cell, two inches wide and 0.125 inch thick. Metal firewall or cell cover must be between driver and cell. Fuel cell vent, including cap vent, must have check valve. If racing fuel cell does not have aircraft style positive seal filler neck/cap system - a flapper, spring or ball type filler rollover valve is required. No cool cans. Fuel lines through driver compartment must be steel.
15. TRANSMISSION: Must use OEM, unaltered transmission that came in year, make and model of car used. All forward and reverse gears must be operational. Flywheel, flexplate, clutch assembly and torque converter must be unaltered, OEM for year, make and model of car used. No mini clutches or couplers. Must have inspection hole in bell housing. No transmission coolers in driver compartment. No torque dividing final drive. No locked differentials.
16. ENGINE COMPARTMENT: Engine and radiator must be OEM, in OEM location for year, make and model of car used. May use solid engine mounts or safety chains. No accumulators/accusumps. No reinforcing except installation of front strut crossbar.
17. ENGINE: 3 or 4 cylinder in-line engines only. All engine components must be unaltered OEM for year, make and model of car used. Must use OEM crank, rods, valve sizes, stroke, etc. No aftermarket racing heads. No high performance or sports car engines of any kind. No turbo charged, super charged, rotary engines, or engines utilizing variable cam-timing.
18. VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (V.I.N.): The V.I.N. must remain in the OEM location. It must be clearly visible and unaltered in any way. Any car missing the V.I.N. will not be allowed to compete.
19. CAR CLAIM: Refer to General Rules and Procedures for claim eligibility requirements.
(A) $1500 cash claim or exchange on complete car.
(B) Claim does not include – 1. racing seat, 2. safety belts, 3. fuel cell (if equipped).
AMENDMENTS TO THESE RULES MAY BE MADE AT ANY TIME IF CERTAIN TYPES OF CARS ARE DOMINATING.